Saturday, August 21, 2010

My Last Post

In all the anticipation and excitement of coming back home I didn't have time to fully grasp the fact that I'm actually going to be leaving Korea after a quick yet memorable year. During my time I've gained many acquaintances, a few good friends, valuabe life experience, and a couple of extra sets of love handles. And of course there are going to be many things that I will miss, and some not miss as much.

I will miss...
- some great people.
A group of cool people. From the top left going clockwise. Lawrence, Charlotte, and Margo.

Fangshu.
One of the co-teachers. Haha He's a nice guy but I probably won't miss him as much but wanted to put up his picture.

My main co-teacher and the best one! Her name is Yoo InHee. I will miss her a lot. She was so helpful, fun and nice person.
- my kids!
One of my students, Yoon EunBi, made that for me.

The third graders card to me.

The second and first grade cards to me.
These are the second graders at Gammul middle school.

The third graders.
The first graders.

- hearing ringtones of the newest chart topping Korean pop song coming from by 50+ year old Ahjushis' cellphones.

- the shower-toilet bathrooms. It's so convenient because when you're taking a shower and need to go...you can.

- the cheap stuff. I'm going to miss the satisfying and tasty meal that cost about 4 U.S. dollars. Medicine is also a steal. I had to buy a (warning: might be a TMI moment) corn remover for my foot and it was about 1.50 U.S. dollars. Transportation, especially taxi cabs were so cheap. I averaged about $20 a month on my gas and electricity bills...combined!

- no tipping...for anything! Food service, taxi rides and deliveries.
- flipping through the channels and getting really excited to find NBA basketball on TV!
- haircuts! They cut and wash your hair! And when they shampoo your hair, they use this scruber thing and it feels so good.
- the Simpsons speaking Korean.

-my cool Alien Registration card!
I have to relinquish it at the airport or else...

- Korea's funny FCC. I was watching an American movie or show and they censored a man smoking a cigarette but didn't think it was necessary to censor another man snorting coke.

I will not miss...

- my bad kids.

- the price of meat.

- how all American food taste sweet; from the sweet non-cheese flavored Cheetos to Burgers with sweet sauce.

- the many 'different' and 'unique' girl groups out there. I mean even 10 is a lot but when there's like 50 of them, EVERY month, it's get a little out of hand. It's getting to the point where 20 years from now, kids are going to be in the playgrounds (or PC bangs), making fun of each other because their mom wasn't an idol.

- mean bus drivers.

- walking in my neighborhood and randomly being punched in the face by the smell of manure.

- dirt basketball courts.
- NBA basketball commentating by Korean commentators AND no Knick games.
- the crappy phone company (KT Show) I had.
I took my frustration out on the phone. I went all 'Office Space' on that badboy. =D
It's been a great year. It's been fun blogging. I hope everyone enjoyed! See you guys soon!

1 comment:

  1. Awww Charlie ~ I didn't know you left ㅠㅠ well maybe I will bump into you in NY one day!

    ReplyDelete