Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My Rant About David Lee

I know this isn't about Korea, but it kind of is. Because this is what I'm thinking about while I'm in Korea haha.

David Lee. For the past couple of miserable and painful seasons for the New York Knicks, the ONLY bright spot that every Knick fan can boast proudly about was David Lee. Every Knick fan knows that since he debuted in the Knick uniform he's been hustling on every play, sacrificing his body guarding obvious height and weight advantaged centers, and basically just giving it all for the team. He's improved every year statistically and seems like he's going to continue that trend for years to come. And year after year, he's been underappreciated by anyone who isn't a Knick fan.
And it saddens me to say that this year is no different. An obvious All-Star this year, but because of a poor fan-based voting system (that rewarded Kevin Garnett and Allen Iverson starting spots and almost Tracy McGrady) and coaches who immediately associate wins with an All-Star spot, it's another loss for David Lee and for the New York Knicks. And don't get me wrong, everyone who did make it were well deserved (even KG and AI, not for this season of course but for their entire careers).
So this isn't me complaining and crying for justice, but voicing my pain for what the future holds. There's more than a 50-50 chance (and I'm being generous with that %) that David Lee will not be back with the team next year because him being an unrestricted free-agent coming off an All-Star season and the Knicks pursuing Lebron, Wade, Bosh, etc. it seems both Lee and management are looking at different directions. I'm not saying the Knicks are a shoe-in to get these top prizes, but Lee's going to have a lot of suitors coming after him, and coming hard. So as I watch (or hopefully CAN watch) this years NBA All-Star Game, there’s going to be a bitter taste in my mouth knowing that this could have and might be David Lee’s last chance to be an All-Star representing the New York Knicks.

1 comment: